By DR CHRISTOPHER NG
Menopause is a natural event in a woman’s life and usually occurs between 45-55 years old. Entering menopause can be beautiful but menopause is different for everyone. Some women notice little difference in their bodies or moods. Others may find it difficult to cope. It is therefore important to understand how to manage menopause and overcome the symptoms.
- Short-term symptoms can range from hot flushes to night sweats, headaches, tiredness, palpitations, irritable, insomnia, depression, anxiety, aches and pains, loss of libido and feelings of not coping as well as before.
- Long-term changes may include hair loss, dry wrinkly skin, vaginal dryness, discomfort during intercourse and urinary incontinence.
- More serious concerns are the increased risk of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis and cancer of the breast and ovary.
- We will advise you on lifestyle changes for symptom control, exercise, healthy diet and screening. We believe in a multi-faceted approach to menopause management with nutritional supplements, alternative/herbal remedies, phyto-oestrogens and bone-strengthening medication to strengthen and restore your inner radiant glow.
- Phyto-oestrogens are oestrogen-like compounds found naturally in certain plants (beans), fruits and herbs. They are natural anti-oxidants and act like human oestrogens found in your body by maintaining bone density and facilitating calcium absorption.